Saturday, January 23, 2010

Crab Cakes!


I'm really not much of a seafood person (pretty much the only type of food I don't like), but I like crab cakes...the handful of times I've had them. I found this recipe on Recipezaar (#143794) and SEVERELY altered it to make it more to my (and darling husband's) liking...the following is my version, which turned out GREAT, if I do say so myself!
---------------------------------------
Muffin-Tin Crab Cakes
Time: 45 minutes, 20 minutes prep
Serves 6
---------------------------------
1 pound crab meat, preferably fresh-cooked and pasteurized, not canned or imitation crab meat
2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (see How to Make)
1/2 tsp onion granules
1/4 cup sour cream (fat-free is fine)
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1/8 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
-----------------------------------
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F; generously coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray. Mix crabmeat, breadcrumbs, onion granules, sour cream, eggs, egg white, chili powder, celery salt, and pepper in a bowl until well combined.
Divide mixture evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Bake until crisp and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with tartar sauce...and oven-baked french fries!
-----------------------------------
How to Make Fresh Whole-Wheat Breadcrumbs:
Tear crusts from 5-6 pieces of whole wheat bread, tear into pieces and process in a food processor until they are coarse crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment