Sunday, January 31, 2010

Maple Whole Wheat Muffins

These are a variation of a recipe in the Pillsbury Best Muffins and Quick Breads Cookbook. I made them a little (maybe a LOT) healthier...and my husband even liked them. I used imiatation maple extract, and I think maybe "real" maple extract or maple syrup (?) would be better...I must admit I didn't LOVE these, but they were okay...I'll have to experiment a bit more with them.

Whole Wheat Maple Muffins (Italics are my changes)
Prep Time: 15 minutes (ready in 40 minutes)
Yield: 12 muffins

Muffins:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup skim milk
3/4 cup applesauce
2 tbsp maple flavor
1/2 cup chopped dates (I didn't add)

Glaze:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp maple flavor
enough milk to make it spreadable

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with papers or spray with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; mix well.
In small bowl, beat egg until foamy. Add 1/2 cup milk, applesauce, oil, and 2 tbsp maple flavor; blend well. Add to flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in dates, if applicable. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
Bake at 375 degrees for 19 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pan.
In small bowl, blend all glaze ingredients, adding enough milk for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle (I brushed on the glaze with a silicone pastry brush) over warm muffins. Serve warm.

Calories per muffin: 170

No comments:

Post a Comment